Pointillism
Some of the grades have learned about pointillism this second week. We read a funny book called Fall is Not Easy, which had illustrations using the method of pointillism. We talked about the "father" of pointillism, George Seurat (the students should recognize his name!), and how his art was considered weird at the time but now is cooler than cool.
Using Q-tips and watercolors the students made their own pointillism trees, and I warned them it was going to be a time-consuming process. They were up for it! The younger grades just stuck to creating colorful trees, while the older grades, with inspiration from the book, made their own trees in different shapes and symbols.
One thing I stress to the students is that we do NOT rush in art class. Georg Seurat took two years to finish his most famous painting!
Each child is allowed to take as long as they want when doing a project. I will hold the artwork for the next period in their class box as long as it takes, and they will eventually finish. Artwork IS work, and I want them each to put their effort and energy into each project.
My art room motto is slow and steady...a calm art studio is what I strive for. (I STRIVE...that doesn't mean it always is calm when we are cleaning up or excited to try something new.:)
